Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Battles - Atlas (taken from the forthcoming album Mirrored)

Killer track. Crank it up, and scare the cats and the neighbors.

The guys in this band are all veterans of various left-field rock bands (Don Caballero, Lynx, Helmet). The drummer's a complete badass. Check out the video for Tonto, where one musician plays keyboard and guitar at the same time, slamming down guitar chords with one hand a la Stanley Jordan.

I found a few tracks by Battles online, and no one can agree on terms to describe their music. A short selection: mathy electro, noise, math rock, noodled, rock, electronica/dance, unclassifiable. The last one works best for me. They operate in their own world, in their own universe (as this video seems to symbolize).

This is the song I can't get out of my head this week. Like the video in "The Ring," I pass it on to you. Enjoy.

No comments: