Wednesday, April 25, 2007

From Crosscut: Who, What, and I Don't Recall


I thought this was pretty clever. Derivative, obviously, but still clever.

President Bush uses nicknames for his White House staff. Karl Rove is nicknamed I Don't Recall," while White House Chief of Staff Joshua Bolten goes by the nickname What. In turn, the president is known to his staff as Confused.

Once you understand this, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' testimony before the Senate last week, quoted below, becomes clear.

Sen. Leahy: Who told you to fire eight attorneys general?

Gonzales: I Don't Recall.

Leahy: You don't recall the name of the preson who told you to fire the U.S. attorneys?

Gonzales: I do recall the name.

Leahy: Then tell us who told you to fire the attorneys general?

Gonzales: I Don't Recall.

Leahy: You don't recall?

Gonzales: Not You Don't Recall. I don't recall.

Leahy: That's what I asked, "You don't recall?"

Gonzales: And I answered, "Not You Don't Recall. It was I Don't Recall."

See the whole piece here, at Crosscut, Seattle's new online magazine or news blog or something or other.

No comments: