Saturday, December 16, 2006

Let It Blow, Let It Blow, Let It Blow

I'm not going to write much now, for fear the clacking keys will wake up Oliver. We're alive. We're all okay, but our power's been out since 1 am Friday morning. We've decamped to a Best Western in downtown Seattle, so we have heat and running water and all the amenities thereof. (Bonus: free wi-fi!) We were one of the lucky ones - most of the hotels that still have power are full up right now and are turning people away.

Over a million people lost power in our area Thursday and Friday. Some won't have the lights back on for days. Maybe as long as a week.

There are downed trees all around our neighborhood, including one gigantic tree that crashed down on someone's front yard and exploded, apparently, and took down at least one utility pole with it. We're not far from the section of Fauntleroy Way that's been closed for the last two days.

The windstorm on Thursday night was one of the most frightening things I have ever seen in my life. I've never been so afraid of the weather before. I've seen wind, I've seen rain, I've seen lightning. I've never seen anything like that.

We're hopeful to have power back tomorrow, so we can go home to our nice warm beds. But we're grateful to have warmth and a roof over our heads. It could have been much worse.

No comments: